J Photography Reviews & Ratings | Wedding Photography | Michigan - Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing, and surrounding areas

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

WINNING PHOTO

I've been to a couple PPWM (Professional Photographers of West Michigan) meetings and August was my first time attending as an official member. Each month PPWM holds a print competition with a different theme. August's theme was animals. As a new member, I eagerly anticipated submitting a piece to see how I would compare to the more seasoned professionals. I agonized over what to photograph and several opportunities came to mind. However, while leaving a session in downtown Rockford for a friend of mine, we were crossing over the Rogue River when my six-year old daughter pointed out a mama duck and her three babies perched on a rock in the river. I started snapping a few photos from the bridge when I realized this was my opportunity! I hurried over the bridge and "parked" the kids (and stroller) at the top of the embankment and slid down the side to the bottom edge of the river (it really was an adventure). The mama duck had her head buried in her wing so I threw a few rocks to get her attention. The kids were worried I was throwing them at the babies! In any event, I was able to snap a photo and submitted it and lo and behold, I won!

The winning print.....

No comments:

© Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP